Wednesday, January 15, 2014

First Day

     I don't know whether I'll keep up with this or not.  We'll all just have to wait and see.

     Today, though, it seems like a good idea.

     Now realize this going in: I'm going to have to be pretty light on the details.  The stories I'm living are not going to mine to tell during this experience.  They will be stories that belong to small ones who don't even realize that stories are unfolding right now much less that they are the main characters in them.  As such, I will leave those stories to them that they may tell them when they decide the time is right.

     No, here I will only be able to convey the nebulous.  My feelings.  My reactions.  My struggle.  This morning, for example, I struggle to hold back tears at the injustice that has brought our world to this point.  I struggle to understand how a parent could make decisions so poor that the society around them feels the right and the obligation to enter their home, abscond with their children, and terminate their right to ever see the children again.

     I struggle to comprehend the sheer outpouring of love that I see on my wife's Facebook feed, as she posts that babies have finally arrived after the arduous process of classes and forms and inspections and all the rest that eventually leads to licensure.  She posted last night that they are here - home, for now.  And "friends" from folks we've always known to people who she's only ever known as the sum of zeroes and ones on a monitor send their love.  They ask how they can help and a discussion of sizes and socks and gift cards ensues.  I have to hold back tears, as I grope for an appropriate reaction to this, the other side of society.  The side that sees a need and wants to fill it.  The side that sees a child and wants to give love in whatever available form.

    And I wonder how the equation - no, it's an inequality, I think more and more - ever became.  What? It's human nature? Good and evil?  I don't know.  How can Person A look down, see his own eyes looking back at him from within the cherubic face of a child who is just old enough to walk, and turn his back for either his own gluttony or through his ignorance of the right?  And how can Person B look down at a computer screen, "follow" a person she's never met, then months or years later read that - despite all of the previous outpouring of love and generosity - a need remains, and immediately reach down into her imagination to find a way to send help in whatever way she can?  And how can these two people even exist in the same world?

     I don't know if this is helping or not.  I can't tell, yet.  What I have learned this morning (and what I've always kind of known about myself in a very general way) is that the tears threaten to come harder and more certainly when I describe the love and kindess side of the puzzle.  When I think of the place from whence these little ones have come, there is a small spur of anger, a smattering of pity (NOT my favorite emotion to experience), and a lot of empathetic regret.  The regret I know I would feel if I ever lost my way to such extent that my loved ones had to be forcibly taken from me.

   I'll try to let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, your family is just a blessing to these children. I teach with families like Person A that you described. I (not bragging) and Person B. It is hard as heck to watch the little first graders I teach walk away at the end of the day knowing the homes they are going to. After 13 years of teaching these types of kids, I am learning that I can't fix everything in their lives. I can love them, give them a safe place to be, and let them know that they are important while they are with me. That is what you and Dawn have to do. Don't think of the horror they lived in or it may consume you (I know it did me for quite some time). Love them, give them a safe place, and teach them that they are important. They are life lessons that they will carry forever. Thank you for opening your hearts and homes to these babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the thing that our teacher from the agency reiterated time and time again throughout our trainings. The children will only heal when they experience what he called "known safety" that is authentic and so can permeate their entire experience on Earth to the extent that that is possible. Those of us in the education profession must strive, as you have done and as many of us do, to provide that sense of known safety for our children when they are in our care, so if school is the only place that they feel it, at least they have that to look forward to five days out of every seven. I've taught children duriing my career as an educator who admitted to me that they intentionally failed enough courses to qualify for summer school because that way they could extend the amount of time during the year that such safety was available to them. So we provide that. As you said, dwelling on anything but is toxic. We keep our focus. We become that safety. And we scrape and claw to make sure our children - all of our children - never feel anything other. Thanks for your comment and for the time you took to share my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete